Last night I witnessed the most amazing thing. I was there to see my niece come into this world!! Ella Hope was born at 7:15pm weighing 6lbs 8oz and 18 inches long.
When Melissa went to her appt on Tuesday they diagnosed her with sever toxemia and decided it was in the best interest of hers and the babys health to deliver Ella. She went in Tuesday night to be induced. She was between 36-37 weeks so there was some concern about her lung development.
I was totally planning on going home, taking a nap and then going up to the hospital around midnight so I could be there. Then we found out that they were going to soften the cervix first so nothing would be happening that night. I was a bit relieved because I was so tired but was still worried I might miss it.
At work on Weds I started getting antsy about 10am. I hadn't heard anything and I knew they would be starting the pitocin that morning. By noon I was beyond antsy and kept informing Jayme(my co-worker) that I was getting pissed. She just kept laughing at me and told me to just call. But I didn't want to bother anyone. Finally Melissa called me and gave me an update. She still wasn't 100% thinned and dilated to a 2. The dr had come in and told her it would be a while, probably early evening. My mom called a couple hours later and told me she got her epidural and it would be about 5 or 6. I told her I was going to work for about another hour and then head up. She called back a few minutes later and told me that Melis was afraid I was going to miss the birth. I kind of laughed but I was truly touched that she wanted me to be there.
I got to the hospital a little after 6. The room was dimly lit and there was definitely some tension in the air. I could tell they were both exhausted both physically and mentally. Hell, who wouldn't be. The past two weeks have been extremely stressful for them. They were stressing out about what to do with Aviry. I could tell that Melis was really worried and feeling so helpless about it all.
I do have to say though that my sister is hilarious when she is miserable. She doesn't hold back at all. She had sunk down a little and wanted help sitting up higher. Scott put the bed back and tried to help her but she just got pissed because it didn't really work. She sat up and then tried pushing herself up but that didn't do much either. I was trying not to laugh but between the efforts being made and the words coming out of her mouth it was next to impossible.
The dr came in a checked her and she was finally 100% thinned and at a 4. Now it was just a matter of time, It could be 20 minutes or it could be a couple hours. We decided to go get something to eat and let her rest a little. We stoped by the nursery and then went to Subway. I had just sat down when my mom called Scott and said she was at a 9. That boy took off!!
I figured we would have some time but they were setting up when we got back to the room and was going to have her start pushing. Things started out fine but then she wasn't feeling her contractions. They put the monitor back on her to get Ella's heart beat and they were having a hard time finding it. I could see the panic take over her face. They finally found it and then Ella's heart rate dropped. She was having a contraction so she started pushing again. Melissa asked again what was going on and they told her that Ella wasn't tolerating the contractions very well. The same thing happened with Aviry but I don't think there was the urgency that was happening with Ella. He told her that they needed to get her out as quick as possible so he was going to use the vacuum and had the nurse call for NICU to come to the room. The nurse explained that they call them whenever they do an assisted delivery. The explanation was nice but it didn't make it any easier. The color just drained from her face and she started crying. It was killing me to see my little sister go through such agony. I'm tearing up just thinking about it again. It's amazing how fast circumstances can change when your bringing a baby into the world. I was so afraid that they were going to have to do an emergency c-section. I was trying to keep my composure because I didn't want her to see me upset also. She needed to be able to look over and see support and encouragement, not fear. Part of me wanted to yell at the dr to shut up and quit telling her what was going on because he was scaring her. But that is just the sister in me wanting to protect her. I knew that if I were in her situation I would want the honest truth about what was happening.
After a couple of pushes Ella made her debut. It was such an amazing thing. I just watched my niece physically come into our lives. Words just can't even describe how amazing it was. I was worried about getting pictures because Melissa is so big on pictures and I didn't want to let her down. I'm pretty sure I got some good pictures. It seemed like it took forever but Ella finally cried. What a sweet sound!
The dr cut the cord and put her on Melissa's belly for a quick minute. Then the nurses took her and cleaned her off and did the assessments. Her apgars were 8 & 9.
After they got her all cleaned up they went to get Aviry. The smile on her face was so big when Scott brought her in. She missed her mommy so much, and Melissa missed her too. It was kind of one of those moments when a lost child is reunited with their parent and you get a lump in your throat.
Aviry was so excited to see Ella. She has been waiting so long to get to meet her and you could just see the instant love in her eyes.
I am so lucky to have witnessed something so special.
I'm not very good at expressing my feelings out loud to people but if you're reading this Melis, I just want to let you know how much I appreciate you sharing this experience with me. I will never forget it, ever. You are an amazing mom and a wonderful sister. You have given me such a precious gift. I don't think I'll ever be able to tell you how much it really means to me, thank you just doesn't seem to even come close.
No comments:
Post a Comment