Monday, September 15, 2008

Ouch!!

When I picked up the kids on Friday Camden told me his hands hurt and showed me two specific spots. I couldn't see anything so I just figured he had some slivers.


On Saturday when we were getting in the car he asked me if I would please open the door for him because he couldn't because his hands hurt. I still didn't think much about it.


I don't recall him saying anything about them hurting yesterday but I guess he was up several times last night saying they were hurting. I vaguely recall him coming in once and Matt saying something about sleeping on his hand wrong and it fell asleep. I was OUT so I don't remember any other times but I was told there were a couple.


This morning he was complaining again and Matt looked at his hands and they were covered in blisters. We had no clue what it was from. We thought he may have touched something but couldn't really get an answer out of him. I called and got him into the dr and it turns out he has Hand, Foot & Mouth disease. Here is a link that has more info about it : http://mayoclinic.com/health/hand-foot-and-mouth-disease/DS00599 The dr said he must have a pretty high pain tolerance because when her kids had it they were crying constantly. It could also be that he has a more mild case, who knows. I'm glad either way because there isn't anything you can do to cure it since it's a virus. You just have to let it run it's course and manage the pain with Motrin and Tylenol.


Another bad thing is that it's highly contagious, therefore, he can't go to pre-school or daycare this week. Fortunately, Jen said she would take them since her kids have already been exposed to it. Thank God for Jen!!


He only has a couple on his feet and we're not sure if he has any in his mouth. There are some spots but the dr wasn't positive it was a blister. I hope it isn't because that is when it gets really painful and you have to worry about dehydration.


1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh man!! That is a hard thing to go through. Give him loves from Aunt Missy!!